Saturday, January 30, 2010

Kilim Hooked Rug .....

I finally have made time to get some work done on my Kilim. About a year ago last November, the St. Henri Rug Hookers were hosts to the fabulous, talented, knowledgeable, giving, fun, experienced teacher -Anne Boissinot. Anne gave us a really great workshop on designing our own Kilim rug. This is the one that I designed. Each participant of the workshop left with their own original Kilim design and a harmonious color plan. If you ever get the chance to work with Anne - grab it!

These Kilim rugs are hooked in straight lines across the design to mimic the authentic flat woven Kilims. This one is a #5 cut - OMG!!! It could take forever! As I get more of it hooked I will show my progress and the rest of the design obviously. What you see so far is one of the symbols I chose to depict water. It represents my connection to the Atlantic ocean where I grew up in Nova Scotia. Kilim rugs can and often tell stories through the symbols used in the design.
What is a Kilim?
Pronounced - kE -'lEm
Etymology - Turkish, from persian kilim
Meaning - a pileless handwoven reversible rug or covering of many uses; produced by one of several flatweaving techniques that have a common or closely related heritage; practiced in the geographical area that includes part of North Africa, the Balkans, Western Turkestan, Turkey (Anatolia and Thrace), the Caucasus, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Central Asia and China. More commonly known as Turkish rugs or Turkish carpets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails